Cassava cake is a traditional and popular Filipino favorite dessert. The tradition of eating cassava cake is deeply rooted in Filipino culture. It’s made of grated cassava with condensed milk and coconut milk, creating a sweet consistency. The top layer is made of caramelized sugar or grated cheese. Cassava cakes are served at festivals, gatherings, special occasions or as merienda for Filipinos during any time of the year.
Cassava crop is an important staple food in tropical countries. It’s rich in carbohydrates and has many health benefits including being low on the glycemic index, making it a great choice for people who are diabetic or have sugar sensitivity issues.
Back in the province when I was young, my dad would harvest cassava crops from our backyard. My mom will start grating them to make a delicious cassava cake. My mom’s recipe for cassava cake is cooked through a steaming method. The delicious scent of cooked cassava cake that filled the air made me drawn right into the kitchen with excitement. The cake looks like a slice of heaven with its golden caramelized top layer. But the recipe I’ll be sharing with you is an oven-baked cassava cake. So let’s start baking!
How to make delicious oven-baked cassava cake?
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour
Yield: 1 cassava cake
4 cups fresh grated cassava (1 kg raw cassava)
1 cup coconut milk
1 can evaporated milk (370ml)
1 can condensed milk (390g)
1/4 cup melted butter (or margarine)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 egg yolk egg
- Peel off the skin of the cassava and grate each of them.
- Once all are grated, lightly squeeze the grated cassava to remove the cassava juice as it will give a bitter taste to the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius for 10 minutes while preparing the cassava mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated cassava, coconut milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, melted butter and eggs. Mix well.
- For the topping, combine condensed milk and egg yolk. Set aside.
- Pour the cassava mixture into a mold or baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cassava cake from the oven. Pour the topping mixture and spread all over the cake. Sprinkle grated cheese on top. Bake for another 15 minutes until it becomes golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy the delicious cassava cake!